PINEWILD MEN’S GOLF ASSOCIATION
Summer is now drawing to a close and fall will be here before you know it. So let’s make the most of summer and have a rousing good time on August 20th. Your PMGA board has secured the Holly course for the August Bash play day on August 20th, 2004. Their will be a shotgun start for teams participating in a five-man scramble. There will be beer available on the patio afterward compliments of the PMGA, while the scoring is being completed. We will also have sandwiches and condiments this year.
The sign-up sheet will be in the locker room shortly.
The PMGA away game for the month of August will be held at Mid Pines Golf Club on the 17th of August. The cost will be $ 40.00 per man, which includes green fees, cart fees, range balls, prize money and Lunch. This was a very well attended event last year, so sign up early to guarantee yourself a spot.
Please sign-up early for Mid Pines so we can have at least 60 players for the event. Your entry fee is to be paid to PMGA for “AWAY GAME”. Checks can be turned in at the lockbox in the locker room. The last day for sign up and refund requests is August 10th, 2004. We cannot make refunds to players who do not contact the board 7 days prior to the event. Any unforeseen emergency or circumstance requiring a player’s withdrawal with less than 7 days notice will be handled by the board on an individual basis. Remember that your check is your ticket to the event and those who have paid will be the first to be entered into the event. If you have not submitted your check prior to the cut-off date, you will not be included on the roster.
Your PMGA board has secured Seven Lakes Golf Club for our September “Away Game”.
More to come on the details later. Put the date on your calendar, September 28th.
Thanks to everyone who participated in the One Day Member Guest and the Jack & Jill Tournaments, making these events a success.
PINEWILD WOMEN’S GOLF ASSOCIATION
I hope these hot days have not gotten you down. Please remember to drink lots of water and seek shade as much as possible when we do get these 95 degree days. Despite the heat, we have had fun days on the golf course. Our away game at Mid-Pines was terrific. The weather was great, the golf course in wonderful condition and lunch was delicious. We have been invited back, so we may try to schedule something in late September. Keep you eyes open for more about that.
Our informal Guest Day was well received. Kathy Lannon and her committee made cute little tee prizes for every guest, and they competed for skill prizes as well. One member’s guest E-mailed her the next day and thanked the committee for “another beautiful day in Pinehurst.”
The Jack and Jill Tournament had a great turnout followed by a nice luncheon. Thanks to Pat Milburn and Gary Peterson for putting it all together. The format was an elimination scramble and the winners of Flight 1 with a 69 were: Lois Pollard, Ann Skrei, Lenny Duckman and Bill Smith. Flight 2 winners with a 70 were: Dee McMahon, Jean Opdyke, Tom Jones and James Norris. Congratulations!
Thanks to Greg Hall for participating in our ABCD playday. Greg had a long hot day, as he played No. 12 on the Magnolia over and over and over. Each foursome added Greg’s gross score from the blue tees to their best ball net. Greg had one birdie, two bogeys, and 13 pars. Good going, Greg. Don’t forget to “Pick a Partner” for our playday on August 17th(Greg is not eligible).
Try to keep cool and remember to take one shot at a time. Enjoy the rest of the summer.
UPDATED UPCOMING EVENTS
Sunday, August 8th – Twilight Golf [Magnolia]
Monday, August 9th – Holly Closed
Monday, August 9th – Ladies’ Bridge Luncheon
Wednesday, August 11th – Duplicate Bridge & Card Night
Friday, August 13th – Social Two Hours
Monday, August 16th – Magnolia Closed
Wednesday, August 18th – Italian Night Dinner
Thursday, August 19th – PWGA Interclub Matches [Magnolia]
Friday, August 20th – PMGA Summer Bash
Sunday, August 22nd – Par Chasers [Magnolia]
Monday, August 23rd – USGA Mid Am Qualifying [Holly]
Thursday, August 26th – Advisory Board’s Annual Meeting
Monday & Tuesday, August 30th & 31st – Magnolia Closed
Wednesday & Thursday, September 1st & 2nd – Holly Closed
Monday, September 6th – Labor Day Event & Cookout
Wednesday, September 8th – Duplicate Bridge & Card Night
Ladies’ Bridge Luncheon
Second Monday of Each Month [August 9th and September 13th]
We invite you to join us from 10:00am – 2:30pm
“Social Bridge for all Levels”
For Reservations – please call Cecilia Ten braak 295-4571
Card/Game Night…Scheduled to be held in conjunction with Duplicate Bridge on August 11th and September 8th
Pinewild Duplicate Bridge
Wednesday, August 11th and September 8th
Pinewild Clubhouse at 7:00 pm
Please Call – Beverly J. Shebs 295-5058
SOCIAL TWO-HOURS have been held on selected Friday Afternoons…a GREAT way to meet new members.
From 5:00PM to 7:00PM, we will have beverage specials, free appetizers and a limited food menu that will suit you to a TEE.
See you on FRIDAY August 13th
No Reservations Needed
WEDNESDAY, August 25th…Cocktails starting at 6:00PM…Dinner Served at 7:00PM
The Menu Includes…
Caesar Salad with Croutons and Parmesan Cheese, Tomato Slices and Fresh Mozzarella with Basil Oil, Marinated Mushroom Salad, Artichoke and Red Pepper Salad, Focaccia Bread with Butter, Stuffed Shells with Spinach, Ricotta and Parmesan Cheeses in a Basil Cream Sauce, Broccoli Rabe Sautéed in Olive Oil and Garlic, Fried Eggplant with Marinara Dipping Sauce, Chicken Saltimbocca, Prosciutto Ham, Swiss Cheese, and Sage in a Rich Marsala Sauce and for Dessert…Amaretto Cheese Cake with Fresh berries
Coffee & Tea
Also…Italian Specialty wines by the Bottle…Free Beer…and many other beverage specials…Join us for the Great Food, the Music and the Fellowship!!!!
Please call 295-5732 to make all your dining reservations, or for any questions that you may have.
WELCOME NEW MEMBERS
Rocco & Peggy Simone
David & Elizabeth Kraemer
Mike & Patricia Hmel
Terrance & Eleane Collins
Thomas & Kay Buckley
Rivikant & Sarigeeta Varanasi
Harry & Virginia Meeth
Francis & Mary Gregory
NEWS, NEWS, NEWS…….
By now you may have heard the news that we will be “reconstructing” greens on the Magnolia Course next year.
The greens on the Magnolia course are now approximately fifteen years old, and have shown signs of deterioration, as greens of this age often do. This has included the infestation of unwanted grasses, as well as a decline in the condition of the base of the greens, particularly the drainage system. The aforementioned was confirmed by recent Soil Analysis tests conducted on several different greens. Due to this condition of the sub-surface, the greens renovation will include a completely new sub-surface and drainage, with the greens then being seeded with bent grass. While nine-holes are closed, additional irrigation work and some cart path work will also be completed.
It is anticipated that nine holes of the Magnolia course will close on or around the 20th of June 2005. This will therefore result in Pinewild operating a twenty-seven-hole facility as it relates to the regulation golf courses, until the greens are completed in late 2005. The opening of the newly renovated greens will most likely be scheduled for, at the latest, the end of February 2006 – but much does depend on the weather during the growing season. Upon opening, both the Holly & Magnolia will operate as 18-hole courses, until the start of June 2006, when the other nine holes of the Magnolia will be closed for similar renovation. This will again result in a twenty-seven-hole facility, until the later part of 2006, after which, all eighteen holes on the Magnolia will be renovated.
During the time that the facility will operate with twenty-seven holes…the following will apply:
– On Monday’s, Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s…nine holes will be closed for maintenance. This may be modified during the fall season to accommodate more play.
– There will most likely be a “split-tee” start [teeing off both tees, with an AM & PM wave] on all of the busier days of the week, this to accommodate as many rounds as possible.
– There will be no unaccompanied guest play on Monday’s Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s. There will be a one hour block for guest play prior to 1:00PM on Thursday’s, and a two hour block of play prior to 1:00PM on Friday’s, Saturday’s and Sunday’s. At the same time, events that have been hosted for the Carolinas Golf Association, the Carolinas PGA [with the possible exception of the Pro-Pro in December], and other charitable organizations will be eliminated during this time.
– The PMGA and the PWGA will play on alternating Thursday’s, with no limitation on the number of tee times allocated. Additionally, annual Association Events may possibly be moved to other parts of the year when all 36-holes are open.
– All Club Events, with the exception of the Member Guest, the Presidents Cup and the Club Championships, will be not be played during this time.
– Reciprocal arrangements will be made with several area courses and accommodations will be made for reduced fees to allow Pinewild members the opportunity to play other facilities.
Fortunately Pinewild is in the unique position to have forty-eight holes of golf, and with nine holes being closed, that still leaves 39 holes – a great advantage to have when considering most facilities that have to close for renovations do not have any facilities available. During the renovation time, the nine holes that are being renovated, will be maintained as normal, with temporary greens established so that it too can be utilized in a recreational manner. Additionally, the Challenge course will be set-up in a way that it could be utilized and enjoyed more than it is right now. Do not forget, the Azalea will also be widely used.
The Management Team is excited about the changes, and the opportunity to enhance the facility that we have to offer. This improvement [and significant capital investment by Ownership] will also compliment the other upgrades that ownership has made to the irrigation system on the golf courses.
I know that some members may have additional specific questions that need an answer, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Thank you for your support of Pinewild Country Club of Pinehurst.
Christopher Little, PGA
ADVISORY BOARD MINUTES
The Advisory Board held its’ Monthly Meeting on July 12th…Highlights were as follows:
– Additional pool Rules have been added with respect to unsupervised children.
– It is currently proposed that nine (9) holes on the Magnolia be closed next June (2005) for greens reconstruction. The second nine would be completed the following year. The main problem with the Magnolia greens are drainage, therefore the greens will have to be completely renovated. Watch for more information.
– There was some discussion involving “SPECIAL REQUESTS BY MEMBERS” Special requests will probably be limited to three (3) request per year per member. Watch for more information.
– Six Advisory Board Members will be completing their two year terms this year. Members completing their terms are…Lydia Boesch, Jack Finnerty, Jack Mahan, J.D. Millikan, Tony Petricola and Janet Waters. The elections for new Board Members will be held on August 26th at the Annual General Meeting.
– Discussion was had on the project on the 17th hole on the Magnolia course. The primary goal of this project is to alleviate the drainage issues along the left side of the 17th hole from the tee box to the bunkers.
– Thanks everyone who volunteered and assisted the TYGA golf tournament on the Azalea course. The kids had a grand time and the volunteers were only too happy to help.
– Thanks to the members who participated in the CPGA Pro-Member on July the 5th, it was well received
– The new website should be up this week…will have a new look with added features for the membership
– Work will soon begin on the calendar for 2005…information from the various groups and committees is needed as soon as possible