PINEWILD MEN’S GOLF ASSOCIATION
With the election of three new members at the “Year Ending Finale” in November of 2004, the 2005 Pinewild Men’s Golf Association Executive Board consists of:
President…Ed Rackowski, Vice President…Bernie Capstick, Secretary…Ed Eater, Treasurer…Bob Jones, Tournaments & Rules…Mike Critzer, Play-Day…Jake Schwalb and Publicity…Larry Perkinson.
Please feel free to contact any board member concerning PMGA activities. Thanks to outgoing members George Watterworth, Gary Magee and Gary Tanner for their work in support of the PMGA.
We will kick-off the 2005 season with the PMGA Opener on 3 March. The event is a five-man elimination scramble with breakfast and lunch. Our first away game is scheduled for March 15th at Foxfire. Regular PMGA Play is scheduled for every Thursday throughout the year. March 17th is also the first interclub qualifier and the beginning of Medal Series play. Sign-up in the Men’s locker room as usual. PMGA members are encouraged to put these events on your calendar and participate if possible.
Additional information and sign-up sheets will soon be posted in the locker room for the Holly Challenge, Medal Series, Interclub Play, and the Lil Abner Tournament. If you plan to play in these events, sign-up and deposit your checks in the box as soon as possible. Write a separate check for each event and designate on the check which event it is for.
The PMGA Executive Board would like to invite all new Pinewild Country Club of Pinehurst members to join the PMGA. The PMGA provides weekly play day competitions at Pinewild on Thursdays, numerous tournaments throughout the year, monthly away games at other area courses, interclub play, and a Hole-in-One Club that provides cash prizes to members who score a hole-in-one. The cost is $35 for the PMGA and $20 for the optional Hole-in-One Club. To join, make out a check for the appropriate amount and put it in the box in the locker room.
Welcome to the following new PMGA members for 2005:
Joseph Owen, Mike Wacks, Wayne Teems, Richard Steere, Jim Pryor, Dick McCrary, David Lynn, Doug Leidy, Ronald Joseph, Rick Hand, Rick Grieshaber and Ron Davison.
The PMGA distributes information to members throughout the year via E-Mail. If you are not receiving these E-mails and would like to do so, forward your E-mail address to Larry Perkinson… firstname.lastname@example.org.
PINEWILD WOMEN’S GOLF ASSOCIATION
The 2005 season will be upon us shortly. Hope everyone is weathering the Winter well. Your PWGA Board has been working hard to get everything organized for this year.
Sandy Gruin has our membership book ready and waiting for “Opening Day”, and our Social and Tournament Directors have March 8th all ready, with breakfast starting at 7:30 a.m., meeting to follow and ABCD scramble to finish off the day. Be sure to sign-up in the locker room, so you won’t be left out.
We’ve decided to have our new member coffee after opening day this year and as of this time there are 13 new members. Please make them feel welcome.
We already have our first Hole-in-One of the Year. Bonnie Berry is the lucky and talented lady. We also have an eagle recorded by Carla Jones on February 13th on the 11th hole of the Holly. Congratulations ladies.
Our Member/Guest Tournament is scheduled for May 10th this year. Registration for this affair is on Opening Day, March 8th. Remember to bring your check for $l00 to insure your spot. Linda Critzer, Amy Higgins and their committee have been planning a special day for us.
Looking forward to seeing everyone on our opening day and hoping we have good weather.
NINE-HOLE LADIES’ LEAGUE
Mark your calendars for the Opening day scramble
SWING INTO SPRING…Tuesday, March 15th, Sign-in at 9:30am and Tee-off at 10:00am…LUNCHEON TO FOLLOW. The Luncheon will consist of Chicken and Spinach Crepes over Mixed Greens, with Mandarin Oranges, Dried Cranberries Toasted Pine Nuts, Hearts of Palm with Champagne Vinaigrette or Green Goddess Dressing, Mini muffins and Dessert is Mixed Berry Tart with Raspberry Frost and Crème Chantilly. Coffee and Iced Tea upon request…$12.25.
The sign-up sheets will be in the Ladies’ locker room from February 22nd, March 9th…Sign-up soon. Also, please note that there are some By-law amendments posted for you to read. We will be voting on these during the Luncheon.
The Nine Hole Ladies Golf League welcomes all levels of golfers. We play Tuesday morning, with checking-in at 9:45 and teeing-off at 10:00. Most stay for lunch following the round. You will find Membership forms in the Ladies Locker room. If you have any questions, you may call our President, Barb Rueb at 295-4908.
Jerry & Karen Sue Wisniewski
LADIES’ OF THE EVENING GOLF
Hey Ladies!!!…it is time for the Ladies’ of the Evening 9-hole golf league to start again.
This year there are a few changes. The FUN league will be held on Monday Evenings…for those of us who still work out in the real world, as well as for those of us who work at home.
The first evening will be Monday April 4th. We will meet at 4:45PM at the clubhouse and tee-off at 5:00PM.
Please call Sue Wisniewski at 910.215.0920 or Marilyn Zimmerman at 910.295.6480 for more information at to sign-up.
See you on the 4th…Marilyn Zimmerman
UPDATED UPCOMING EVENTS
Thursday, March 3rd – PMGA Opener [Magnolia]
Sunday, March 6th – Twilight Golf [Magnolia]
Monday, March 7th – Holly Closed…PM
Tuesday, March 8th – PWGA Opener [Magnolia]
Wednesday, March 9th – Duplicate Bridge
Friday, March 11th – Social Two Hours
Saturday, March 12th – USTA Interclub Tennis Matches
Monday, March 14th – Ladies’ Bridge Luncheon
Tuesday, March 15th – Ladies’ Nine-Hole Opener
Thursday, March 17th – Garden Club Luncheon
Thursday, March 17th – St. Patrick’s Day Celebration
Saturday, March 12th – USTA Interclub Tennis Matches
Saturday & Sunday, March 19th & 20th – Member/Member Event
Thursday, March 24th – Tarheel Interclub [Magnolia]
Friday, March 25th – Good Friday
Sunday, March 27th – Easter Sunday Brunch
Monday, March 28th – NC Mid AM [Holly]
Thursday, March 31st – Couples Member Guest Practice Round
Friday through Sunday, April 1st through 3rd – Couples Member/Guest
Monday & Tuesday, April 4th & 5th – CPGA/CGA’s Tarheel Cup
Sunday, April 10th – Twilight Golf [Holly]
Monday, April 11th – Ladies’ Bridge Luncheon
Ladies’ Bridge Luncheon
Second Monday of Each Month [March 14th and April 11th]
We invite you to join us from 10:00am – 2:30pm
“Social Bridge for all Levels”
For Reservations – please call Cecilia Ten braak 910.295.4571
Pinewild Duplicate Bridge
Wednesday, March 9th and April 13th
Pinewild Clubhouse at 7:00 pm
Please Call – Beverly J. Shebs 295-5058
SOCIAL TWO-HOURS have been held on selected evenings…a GREAT way to meet new members.
We will have beverage specials, free appetizers and a limited food menu…
See you on FRIDAY March 11th and April 8th from 5 to 7
No Reservations Needed
ST PATRICK’S DAY DINNER
Thursday, March 17th
Cocktails at 6 with Dinner at 7:00PM
The Menu Includes…a Pinewild House Salad, Erin Go Slaw [Apple Cider Vinaigrette], Smoked Salmon and Cucumber Mousse Salad, Citrus Fruit Salad with Toasted Pecans, Guinness Marinated Grilled Chicken Breast
Braised Corn Beef Brisket, Stewed Green Cabbage, Corn O’ Brien, Parslied New Potatoes, Bailey’s Chocolate Chip Cheese Cake and Various Beverage Specials available for purchase
EASTER BRUNCH on Sunday March 27th
Seatings at 10:30AM & 1:00PM
$19.95++ per person…$7.95++ per person (children under 12)
an Omelet Station…with Omelets, Eggs “cooked to order”, Eggs Benedict, Bacon & Sausage, Cinnamon Rolls & Assorted Muffins…
Cold Food and Salads…Fresh Fruit, a Pinewild Salad Station and Cheese & Vegetable Trays…
Hot Food…Seafood Scampi, Captain’s Chicken and various Vegetables…
a Carving Station…of Roast Prime Rib of Beef and Baked Turkey Breast…
Chef’s Grand Dessert Station…Cookies, Brownies, Chocolate Mouse, Pies & Cakes and Coffee & Tea…
Please call 295-5732 to make all your dining reservations, or for any questions that you may have.
WELCOME NEW MEMBERS
James & Kathleen McGillan
Christopher & Eudocia Mercadante
William & Joan Campbell
Charles & Karen Samaras
Arturo & Martha Romero
NEWS, NEWS, NEWS…
It would appear that we have survived the winter, with very little harsh weather, and many more rounds of golf during January & February than we are used to…but that is good.
We have a FULL schedule of events for the spring starting with the “opening days” of the PMGA, PWGA and the Nine-Holers. Club events include the Member/Member and the Couples Member/Guest, with many social events like St. Patrick’s Day and the traditional Easter Brunch. There is truly “something for everyone”, and we look forward to seeing as many members as possible enjoying the facilities.
Interested in getting our Pinewild Club ebulletin???…it is sent about every ten days, and includes some up-to-date information on what is going on. If you are not getting the email, but would like to – simply email email@example.com with a short note, and we will capture your address and forward you the information.
The US Open is fast approaching, and I am sure many members will be traveling to the area, or will have guests visiting. At this time, we continue to accommodate special tee time requests for the week – so for those members, who are in need of a tee time that would be considered a special request, please fax a written request to 910.295.6631 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please note the date of Sunday, June 12th. We will be host a major Open Party on the Driving Range starting late in the afternoon…you will not want to miss this special occasion – more details will be forthcoming.
As has been mentioned previously, shortly after the Open in June, the back-nine of the Magnolia Golf Course will shutdown for complete greens renovation. All is on track, and we have been working hard to ensure that there is as minimal impact to members and their ability to utilize the golf amenities as possible. More details will be forthcoming, but much information is already out there. Please visit
www.pinewildcc.com/MemberSite/ClubNews/Policies/Golf/greensrenovation.html or if you have any specific questions, please do not hesitate to contact me personally.
Have a fun & safe spring…
NEW INTERCLUB TENNIS NEWS…
The following guidelines were developed to provide a standard for USTA League Teams being sponsored by Moore County Tennis Clubs.
– Each team will have a defined “season” starting one (1) month prior to scheduled League Play and ending after the last match is played, including State and Regional Tournaments.
– Teams will play and practice one (1) match per week, for a maximum court usage of two times per week.
– Teams who have non-members playing on the host Club’s courts will pay the Club a fee of $25 per non-member for each League Team.
– Teams will be restricted to play and practice during the season at only one Club.
– Administration of the Team is the captain’s responsibility; including, but not limited to, booking all court time, providing rosters to host pro, collecting League fees, and notifying gated community’s security with player’s names.
If you are interested in forming a league, or have any additional questions, please contact Christopher Little
Li’l Abner Tournament will be held on Thursday, April 14th, with sign-up starting on March 17th.
The format will be Modified Alternate Shot with a 9:00AM Shotgun on the Magnolia.
Lunch, refreshments and prizes will follow conclusion of play.
Don’t miss out on this “Fun Day”!
ADVISORY BOARD NEWS…
The Advisory Board held a monthly meeting on the 6h of December, some minutes of which are listed below. A full set of minutes is located in the restrooms and on the web atwww.pinewildcc.com
– Chris expressed his sincere appreciation to all members that donated to the Year-End Employee Fund.
– Chris is finalizing the program for Tennis Interclub….fees and etc. The final guidelines/program will be distributed within 30 days.
– The Ringer Tournament will be replaced by a one day Charity Tournament, scheduled for November 13th, 2005.
– The greens on the front nine of the Magnolia will undergo a “drill and fill” procedure to improve drainage.
– Keith Junk suggested that a “Member Renovation Review” be published on an on going basis to keep the members informed as the progress of the renovation.
– The difficulty of administering the President’s Cup and Club Championship as a combined tournament. This situation will be readdressed after the completion of the renovation project with the hope that we can have two separate tournaments.
– The Handicap Committee will proceed as it has for the past five years and will continue to audit scorecards on a random weekly (March – November) and bi-weekly basis (December – February).
– The Handicap Committee completed the work required to re-rate the Holly Red and Gold holes. The results have been submitted to Sean Desmond for inclusion on the next reprint of the cards.
– The next Chef’s Cooking Class will be held on November 18. Lydia will ask Todd and Chris about substituting another Chef’s Cooking Class for the Disco Dinner Night scheduled for May 13.
– The “Open Party” will take place on Sunday, June 12 from 5:30 – 9:30 at the driving range. Guests are welcome. The Vision Band, who played at the Christmas Party, will perform. Proceeds from the party will benefit the Moore Free Care Clinic. John Boesch and Doug Schmidt are in the process of soliciting sponsors for the event.
– The Calendars for 2005 have been sent out…if members have not received one…let Chris Little know & he will forward a copy
– Some dates that should be added to the calendar…Pool Opens on the 23rd of May…New Member Reception on the 27th of May…Advisory Board’s Annual Meeting & Election on the 25th of August…and the Pool Closes on the 19th of September